Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cannon-balls Run Update: CASE DISMISSED!!!

I woke up at 8 am and set a pot of coffee to brewin'.
I had two hours until my "violation image viewing" at the West Hollywood Sheriff's Department and my mind was a wild brushfire of ominous criminal scenarios and premonitions of a life spent runnin' from Johnny Law, penniless and without hope of redemption.

And I was hungry.
Like Omar on The Wire, I poured a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios, and pondered the future of my meager finances. Would the mornings events throw me into a fiscal tailspin that not even Rockefeller himself could recover from? Would I be forced into poverty by a $380 ticket and the ensuing spike in my car insurance? Would I be counted alongside the thousands of dregs and vagabonds that litter the back alleys, lonely interstates and rusty rail cars of our country's landscape.

Those dark thoughts continued pummeling my subconscious as I moped through the glass doors of the WeHo Hooskow.
I was led down a hall, through an office, to a desk and finally, into a chair. I sat across from the Dep and laid bare my soul.
It was an impressive barrage of imagery and truth-hoods. I spoke of childhood disappointment, societal quandries, religious motiffs, spaghetti westerns, the plight of Hallie Flanagan, 9/11, organic deodorant options, a long-forgotten chili recipe, the spread offense and the proper usage of the term "makin' it rain".

I wept.
He gave me the up and down.
We shared a moment.
Never has so much been said without a parting of the lips.
Softly, he cited the positioning of my 2000 Dodge Neon to the truck directly in front of it. The angle of my sight line to the traffic light was troublesome, he agreed.
With a grace that would make Barishnykov piss on himself, he tapped out a dismissal of citation, printed it out and handed me my freedom.

I climbed into my car and sat for a spell. I looked out through the dusty windshield at Santa Monica Boulevard and let the relief wash over me.
We MUST allow ourselves to relish these moments in life, for they are fleeting and seldom seen.
And I smiled and exhaled.
Then I wondered what I should have for lunch.

No comments: